Saturday, December 1, 2007

Why This Blog?

As I strive to become a better investor, trader, and financial expert, I anticipate several needs that this blog may be able to help address:
  • A need to journal my trades. If I am going to become a better trader, I need to write down my trades and my rationale. That way I am accountable and I am forced to reflect on my learnings and mistakes. Creating this blog is the beginning of that process -- it provides a very convenient vehicle for creating a journal by day, and to do it in a more public way (the accountability part!).
  • A need to crystallize my ideas and thoughts. As I read and experiment, I find that have all kinds of ideas that I need to get down in writing -- what looks interesting, what I might give a try, what ideas might I need to test further, where the resources are that might help me....many times I find if I don't get them down, some of them just vanish into thin air (especially the older I get).
  • A potential way to build credibility. I don't know where this journey will take me -- I am hopeful I will continue to become more effective in managing my own investments well, but there is the possibility of going beyond that -- if I ever am going to take a more "public" path -- perhaps become a financial planner, investment adviser, or financial writer, I will need to be able to effectively and lucidly express my strategies in order to establish credibility with others.
  • Giving others ideas. I have spent a lot of time reading and researching ideas to make outsized rates of return. I would like for others to get the benefits of my own insights -- especially those who are newer and might be following along (empathy!!!) -- maybe I can suggest strategies, investments, reading material, websites, and/or other resources to help others get an edge.

Next: another thing I have a high degree of urgency around is establishing an audited track record. I'll talk more about that in the next entry.

No comments: